What about the loss of electricity at home during severe thunderstorms? Suddenly you feel helpless and don’t know what to do.
First of all, don’t panic. Your power will eventually be restored, you just need to come up with some good ideas on how to stay busy while the utility companies try to fix the problem.
First, always keep your freezer and refrigerator closed during an outage. If you have a generator, use it only outdoors and away from windows and doors.
And one last thing, it’s always a good idea to unplug appliances and electronics to prevent damage from electrical surges.
What are 10 things you can do for fun during a blackout in Michigan?
1. Write a letter. When was the last time you wrote a heartwarming letter for someone you love. The perfect time for a letter.
2. Bring board games. Once you’ve lit a few candles or maybe you have a camping lantern you can use, that’s all the light you need to play some of your favorite board games.
3. Play hide and seek. It can be a lot of fun as long as you have enough people to participate. I used to play hide and seek in the dark all the time when I was younger. Bring back the fun and relive the good old days during a power outage.
4. Bike or walk. Not a good idea at night, but still a good idea during the day. Not only great exercise, but it helps keep your mind occupied during power outages.
5. Crosswords. If you like crossword puzzles, you’ll enjoy this activity to help you pass the time quickly.
6. Card games. Who doesn’t love a good deck of cards. Play war, go fishing, crazy 8 and even solitaire if you are alone.
7. Call your friends. Even if your power goes out, you can still call one of your best friends to catch up. Don’t overuse your cell phone battery.
8. Build a fort. Get out some extra sheets and pillows and use your imagination to build the kind of fort you built as a kid.
9. Old photo albums. This is the best time to pull out old photo albums to reflect and share a memory or two with loved ones.
10. Ouija board. Get out an old Ouija board and have a little fun or better yet, do your own little seance and try to contact the spirits of the past. Spooky, spooky and fun during a power outage.
Powertechteam.com has more ideas for fun things you can do during a power outage.